Text Size

Historic Homes In High Springs

1. STEVENS - PIERCE HOUSE
The home of Mr. and Mrs. J.A. Stevens, this house was built about 1896. Mr. Stevens, a druggist, owned and operated a drug store in the Main Street business district. Kip and Sandy Pierce converted the house to an antique shop. The lovely old home is now the location of Wisteria Cottage.

2. GODWIN HOUSE - HIGH SPRINGS HERALD OFFICE
Will Godwin, a railroad worker, built this house in 1896. Used as a residence for several years by various owners, it became the office of the High Springs Herald in 1969.

3. FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
The Presbyterian Church was built in 1897 with heart pine lumber from the mill at Leno (O`Leno). The structure was modified in the 1950`s when the brick veneer was added. The belfry was enclosed with the louvers to exclude pigeons. The sanctuary continues to serve its congregation.

4. GODWIN - MOSLEY HOUSE
This house with its porch on two sides, decorative scroll work and fish scale shingles on the gables was the home of Elias Godwin, Justice of the Peace. Built in the 1890`s, it originally had a circular cupola on the corner of the porch. Note the small second floor porch. Restored by previous owners, this is now the home of Ed Mosely.

5. ALLEN CHAPEL AME CHURCH
Organized in 1886, the original frame structure was destroyed by the tornado of September 1896. It was replaced by this attractive red brick building by 1902. The church was completely renovated in 1977, at which time the bell was moved from the tower to its present site.

6. THE PALACE SALOON AND GRIMES GROCERY
This brick structure was probably built after the 1896 storm. The newspaper reported that the Fryer and Thomas saloon was destroyed by the storm of September 1896. Saul M. Thomas owned the Palace Saloon. The J.L. Grimes Grocery was in the right half of the building. After prohibition in 1919, Charles Nisi operated a grocery and bakery in the building.

7. NISI HOUSE - TENDER CARE CENTER
Built near 1900, this was the home of Charles and Ella Nisi. They ran a bakery, grocery, and confectionery store next door. Later they moved the store to the old saloon site. Carl Nisi, their son, lived here. Recently this Building was remodeled as The Tender Care Center by Robin True.

8. THOMAS HOME - RENFRO APARTMENTS
The home of Mr. and Mrs. Saul M. Thomas, this building dates from the late 1890`s. Mr. Thomas, who owned the Palace Saloon, also rented rooms to railroad workers. Their daughter, Maude Renfro, converted the building to apartments. Note the fancy scroll work of the second floor porch.

9. PRIEST - CONE HOUSE
This house existed in 1914. It was purchased as the home of Mr. and Mrs. W.J. Priest in 1918. Owner of the Priest Motor Company and Ford Dealer, Mr. Priest was a prominent business man. It is now the home of Mrs. Priest`s sister, Louise Cone.

10. PHIFER - MORIE - SMITH HOUSE
Built by Sam Phifer, a merchant and lumber yard owner, probably around 1900, this two-story house has a wrap-around porch with white columns and triple gables across the front. It is now the home of Jacquelyn Morie and Allen Smith.

11. McCALL - SMITH HOUSE
Built early in the century, reportedly by Sam Phifer, this was the home of G.W. McCall, an officer of the High Springs Bank and former mayor of Hiqh Springs. It is now the home of his daughter and son-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Dale Smith.

12. FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH -FAITH CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP CHURCH
In 1883 the First Baptist Church was formally organized. Three successive frame churches stood on this site; the first two destroyed by storms and the third demolished to make room for this brick building which was completed in 1930. In 1978, having again outgrown the facility, the congregation moved to its new home on US 441. This building continues to serve the community as the Faith Christian Fellowship Church.

13. ROACH - RAWLS HOUSE
This house was built in 1897 by James S. Roach, an engineer with the Plant railroad system. Bourton H. Rawls, attorney, came to High Springs in 1925. "Col." Rawls, a prominent citizen, served in the Florida House of Representatives. He and his wife, Elizabeth, still reside here.

14. MAIN STREET BUSINESS DISTRICT -East Side
Photos at the time indicate that the southern half of this block was destroyed by the September 1896 storm. The Bank of High Springs, chartered in 1903 continued until 1984 when purchased by the Barnett Bank group. The post office was immediately south of the bank. The other structures were built later.

15. OPERA HOUSE - GREAT OUTDOORS TRADING COMPANY
The Opera House was built some years before 1896. The upper floor provided a hall for meetings, shows, dances and entertainment. The ground floor always was used by some mercantile firm. H. Mc L. Grady rented the building in 1904 for 15 years and had a ready-to-wear store downstairs. Old photos indicate that the Romanesque arches were carried through the one-story Petteway's Drug Store (earlier, Edwin Berry's Drug Store), indicating that it was part of the original structure. The building was recently renovated by Bob & Karen Bentz and the Opera House restored to a grand hall for private parties, meetings, performances, receptions and other elegant affairs.

16. MAIN STREET BUSINESS DISTRICT -West Side
All of the buildings now on the west side of this block appear in photos from the early 1920`s. For many, the decorative brick work across the front is still exposed to view. These have housed many commercial activities over the years. The name J.A. Stevens appears on the building toward the north end marking the site of the Stevens` Drug Store.

17. NEW CENTURY WOMEN`S CLUB
Organized in 1899 by twelve women, its first president was Mrs. L.C. Gracy. It was federated with the national organization in 1900. In 1912, financed by the Club president, Mrs. James Paul, and her husband, this building was built. The Club continues as an active element in the High Springs community.

18. ST. BARTHOLOMEW`S EPISCOPAL CHURCH
One of the oldest Episcopal Churches in North Florida, this board-and-batten structure was built in 1895 of heart pine by railroad workers during after-work hours. John F. Young, second Bishop of Florida, 1876-78, had plans developed for a church that could be built by laymen carpenters. The resultant "carpenter gothic" style can be found in old churches throughout the diocese.

19. FIRST METHODIST CHURCH-SEVENTH DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH
The original frame church was built by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, prior to 1895. Severely damaged by a fire in 1938, the building was repaired and restyled with a brick veneer exterior. In June 1985, the United Methodist Church moved to their new spacious sanctuary on South US 441. The structure now serves as the Seventh Day Adventist Church.

20. EASTERLIN HOUSE
Built in 1896, this was one of the first houses built on the "rock road", the home of George W. Easterlin, High Springs businessman. Note the turned-wood spindle decoration of the porch and second floor balcony. It is still owned by the Easterlin family. This lovely old home is now owned by Lucie and Paul Regensdorf and serves as an extension of the Grady House Bed & Breakfast.

21. NAZARENE CHURCH - MASONIC LODGE
Built by the Nazarene Church in the 1930`s, the brick building served that congregation until 1965 when it was purchased by the High Springs Masonic Lodge No. 137.

22. DAY - AUDETTE HOUSE
As evidenced by a find of old newspapers sealed in the wall, this structure was built in 1898. A Captain Stewart, who operated steam-boats on the St. Johns River is supposedly the builder. For several decades after the 1920`s it was the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Day. Later it was remodeled as the Berry Apartments. The new owner, A.L. Audette, Jr., is now restoring the heart pine structure.

23. COLE - COTHRON HOUSE
This two-story house, with a wrap-around porch and balcony on the west side, was built prior to 1900 by Mr. and Mrs. G.C. Cole. A railroad superintendent, Mr. Cole moved to High Springs in 1897. Purchased in 1940 by G.C. Cothron. also with the railroad. it is still the home of Mrs. Cothron.

24. PENDLETON - ISLER HOUSE
Another home dating from the turn of the century, this house was built by Joseph T. Pendleton, who worked in the railroad offices. The house later was the home of a M. Addison, a railroad engineer. The gabled entrance to the porch on three sides of the house and the white porch columns are distinctive features. Old pictures indicate that the roof line was changed in the 1930`s. This is now the home of Walter Isler.

25. RIMES - WAGONER HOUSE
Built about 1900, this structure was used as a, rooming house, serving the crews of the railroad. It was operated by Mrs. Ellen Rimes during the 1920`s and 30`s. Later it was known as the Humphrey Apartments. It is now being restored by John Wagoner. Note the carpenter lace work on the porches.

26. THOMAS` DRUG STORE
Built in the early 1900`s in Bell, it was moved to this site in the 1920`s. Over the years it has housed a grocery store, watch shop, a large railroad restaurant, Paul Kahlich`s meat market and the dry goods store of R.J. O`Steen. In the 1940`s this became J.W. Thomas` Drug Store. The upper floor offered rooms for rent, convenient to the rail depot one block south.

27. OLD ST. MADELEINE CATHOLIC CHURCH
Located now on Highway US 441, 2.3 miles south of High Springs, this white frame sanctuary, built in 1925, originally stood on the corner of N.E. 2nd Ave. and 2nd St. After serving for fifty-four years, the new church was built here and the old church moved to this site, preserving a part of the parish`s history.

This information has been researched and compiled by the Alachua County Historical Commission, and sponsored by the Alachua County Commission as part of the Alachua County Historical Tour Series (1986)

Membership Directory